No matter your favorite—white, red, rosé, or dessert wine—there’s no denying wine is a staple in Italian cuisine and beyond. But what do we really know about wine? Let’s dig deeper into the world of wine with these fun facts.
Fun Facts About Wine
- One barrel of wine produces approximately 1,180 glasses of wine. That’s 24.6 cases of wine total.
- The average acre of grapevines can produce five tons of grapes. That’s equal to 3,985 bottles of wine and 15,940 glasses of wine.
- White wines are made with yellow or green skins, whereas red wines are made with the skins of dark grapes.
- Wine is completely fat-free and has no cholesterol.
- The average glass of wine is approximately 80 to 100 calories. A lighter wine, however, is likely to have less while a heavier wine will likely have more than 100 calories. Additionally, all wines have different amounts of carbohydrates, with dessert wines usually clocking in at about 10 to 12 grams.
- Numerous studies have shown that moderate wine consumption, especially of red wine, is linked to a number of health benefits.
- Tannins in wine can cause you to “pucker” due to the bitter characteristic of many tannins. Tannins are a natural element found in most wines, but red wines are known to be especially tannic. Tannins come from grape skins, seeds, and stems and give the wine a kick of bitterness.
- Smelling a wine before tasting it can not only improve its taste, but it can also give you clues on what region the wine is from and the grapes it is made of.
No good wine is complete with a pasta dish by its side. Visit Basta Pasta Fallston today for a taste of Italy in your backyard.
Holiday Parties at Basta Pasta
Ready to enjoy your favorite wine at Basta Pasta in Fallston? Book your holiday party with us ASAP, and come enjoy some great Italian food and wine pairings. We can’t wait to see you!
Want to learn more about our wine selection? Need to get in touch with one of our locations? Here is some basic contact information for both:
- Timonium Location- 60 W Timonium Road