Whenever Italy or the Italian culture is mentioned, one of the first things to come to mind is food. Food is one of the major components of Italian culture, and Italian dishes are enjoyed throughout the world. For many individuals, Italian dishes are one of the favorite food options, with many trying to recreate dishes on their own or heading to their favorite restaurant to enjoy. However, did you know that there’s a chance your favorite Italian dish isn’t available in Italy itself? In fact, several of our popular “Italian dishes” aren’t Italian at all.
- If you head to Italy to enjoy some delicious food, spaghetti with meatballs won’t be on the menu. Instead, you will find a sauce that has meatballs in it, but never served with spaghetti. While we commonly use spaghetti noodles with most Italian dishes, authentic Italian dishes incorporate different pasta styles.
- Similar to the situation with spaghetti and meatballs, spaghetti Bolognese won’t be found on an Italian menu. That’s because a Bolognese sauce is typically served with pappardelle or cappelletti.
- Americans may think of fettuccine alfredo as a major Italian dish, but Italians only use the dish when stomach pain is being experienced. Italians will typically only discuss this dish as the creation of a Rome restaurateur instead of serving it at their dinner table.
- Marinara sauce may seem like a major Italian sauce, but marinara is really considered a bland sauce for cooking. A more flavorful marinara used in Italian dishes is considered a pizza sauce that includes tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and oregano.
- Pepperoni pizza won’t be found on any Italian menu because the Italian language doesn’t include a term for pepperonis. Instead, you might find yourself served a pie with peppers because of the similarities between the two words.
In 2004, Basta Pasta opened its doors to the public, and ever since has maintained the image and experience of casual Italian dining. In addition to fresh, delicious ingredients and recipes, the restaurant strives to uphold expert, attentive, and cordial service for its customers. Enjoy a taste of Italy with hearty pasta dishes, endless salad and breadsticks, and fine wines right here in your hometown. For more information, visit our website.
Want to learn more about our wine selection? Need to get in touch with one of our locations? Here is some basic contact information for both:
- Timonium Location- 60 W Timonium Road