Yes, yes it is. And no, you’re not dreaming. Wine has been proven to have legitimate health benefits. That’s right, enjoying a glass with dinner every so often has actually been good for you. We should clarify that these health benefits come from moderate wine consumption, meaning one to two 4oz glasses in a day. But hey, if it’s doctor’s orders, we don’t mind if we do.
Health Benefits of Wine
- Reducing Risk of Depression: A study done by several universities in Spain surveyed 2,683 men and 2,822 women aged 55-80 over a seven-year span, having them fill out a food frequency and mental health questionnaire every year. Even after factoring in external life factors, the authors found that those who consumed two to seven glasses of wine a week were at significantly lower risk of depression.
- Preventing Breast Cancer: While many alcoholic drinks have been proven to increase the risk of breast cancer, red wine has been shown to have the opposite effect, courtesy of the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Chemicals in the seeds and skins of red grapes reduce estrogen levels while boosting testosterone in premenopausal women, which means lower risk of breast cancer.
- Promoting Longevity: Researchers from the Harvard Medical School have reported that red wine has anti-aging properties. Resveratol, a chemical compound found in grape skins, as well as blueberry and cranberry skins and nuts, was identified as the anti-aging compound. Meanwhile, a study from the University of London found that “procyanidins, compounds commonly found in red wine, keep the blood vessels healthy and are one of the factors that contribute towards longer life spans enjoyed by the people in Sardinia and the southwest of France.”
We won’t go on too long about this, but if you’re curious, here’s the link to the source again to read more about the health benefits of wine and why moderate consumption of wine is good for you.
Take Your Pick from Basta Pasta’s Wine List — It’s Good for You!
In 2004, Basta Pasta opened its doors to the public, and ever since has maintained the image and experience of casual Italian dining. In addition to fresh, delicious ingredients and recipes, the restaurant strives to uphold expert, attentive, and cordial service for its customers. Our Timonium location also features plenty of rooms for private parties and events. Enjoy a taste of Italy with hearty pasta dishes, endless salad and breadsticks, and fine wines right here in your hometown. For more information, visit our website.
Want to learn more about our wine selection? Need to get in touch with one of our locations? Here is some basic contact information for both:
- Timonium Location- 60 W Timonium Road
- Online Contact Page
- Fallston Location- 2745 Fallston Road
- Online Contact Page