Christmas Eve is almost here, which means it’s time to prepare the Feast of Seven Fishes. This Italian Christmas Eve tradition remains popular for Italian-Americans and food-lovers everywhere. If you are ready to host this fun feast this year, here is what you need to know to get prepared.
The Feast of Seven Fishes
During the Feast of Seven Fishes, Christmas Eve is commemorated with a partial fast. All of the dishes eaten are lighter and meatless, like traditional pasta, seafood, fish, and antipasto. As the name implies, the Feast of Seven Fishes includes at least seven different seafood dishes. The dishes can include pasta, appetizers, entrees, soups, and more.
Host Your Own Feast of Seven Fishes
Ready to host your own feast? Whether you’re Italian or not, a Feast of Seven Fishes is a fun way to enjoy the holidays with your family:
- Plan a light antipasto platter with crisp and light options. Instead of serving heavy cream-based dips, use veggies and a simple dip or a flavorful and veggie-packed crostini.
- Make a seafood salad to serve between the appetizer and following courses. We love making cold seafood salads with greens, calamari or squid, and a bright citrus-based vinaigrette. This will be the perfect transition during your Feast of Seven Fishes.
- No heavy kinds of pasta will do for this feast, so you should plan on making a simple, homemade pasta dish dressed with butter and some herbs. If you want something a little bit richer, make linguine with clam sauce.
- Seafood stew or soup is another great way to add another course to your Feast of Seven Fishes. Cioppino is very simple and packed with a bright punch of flavor.
- The biggest course of the feast is often a large fish prepared for the whole group. Depending on your bravery and the taste buds of the group, you could roast, fry, or grill the fish.
- If you are in charge of preparing and serving the dishes, ask your friends and family to bright wines! White wine works well with seafood, so ask them to bring Pinot Gris, Sauvignon blanc, or Riesling.
Enjoy Authentic Italian Cuisine at Basta Pasta
For over 12 years, Basta Pasta has been providing Marylanders with delicious Italian specials cooked from fresh, delicious, high-quality ingredients. Enjoy a taste of classic Italian food with spectacular pasta dishes, unlimited salad and breadsticks, and sumptuous fine Italian wines. To make a reservation at our Timonium location, contact us online or give us a call at (410) 308-0838. To make a reservation at our Fallston location, contact us online or give us a call at (410) 692-5200. To find out more about our menu, follow us on Facebook and Twitter!