When it comes to Italian cuisine, pasta is one of the most popular items you can find. With so many different options when it comes to pasta, its hard to become an expert. However, lucky for you, Basta Pasta is here to be the expert for you. But knowing your pasta facts never hurt!
Basic Pasta Facts
When you use the term “pasta” you are normally referring to the noodles within your entree. These noodles come in all different shapes and sizes and can be paired with a number of different sauces and proteins. Pasta is typically categorized in the following way:
- Short: These pasta shapes tend to include shells, tubes, elbows, and twists. A thick sauce is normally served with this kind of pasta because of the ridges and gaps that can be filled. A thin sauce won’t fill these spaces fully, which makes the meal less enjoyable.
- Long: These pastas are thin and long like spaghetti, linguine, and fettuccine. Because of the smaller size, a thin sauce, typically a butter or wine sauce is served atop this pasta.
- Baking: In dishes that require baking, like lasagna, pasta is used that is flat and large. This allows sauce and other toppings to be spread evenly while also helping with even baking.
While pasta is known most within Italian culture, there is a myth that Christopher Columbus actually brought pasta to Italy from China. However, for those who believe pasta began in Italy, it dates as far back as 1154.
At Basta Pasta, we pride ourselves on using pasta facts to create delicious and authentic Italian cuisine in our extensive menu. Ask one of our knowledgeable servers about our menu to make a delicious decision. Our extensive wine list and dinner menu is sure to delight even the pickiest of eaters. Afraid our dining room will be too crowded? Not to worry, Basta Pasta offers online reservations!
Need to get in touch with one of our locations? Here is some basic contact information for both:
- Timonium Location- 60 W Timonium Road
- Fallston Location- 2745 Fallston Road