When it comes to serving delicious pasta dishes, it’s in our name! At Basta Pasta, we specialize in Italian cuisine dishes that incorporate different types of pasta for our customers to enjoy. As our guests sit down to enjoy their pasta dishes, we wonder how much they really know about the pasta they are consuming. So here are some fun pasta facts for you to chew on as you enjoy your Italian pasta cuisine!
- Pasta has a long history that can be dated back to the fourth century B.C. This is because researchers have found illustrations in an Etruscan tomb that shows individuals creating pasta.
- While pasta is mostly considered an Italian dish, the Chinese are known to be making noodles beginning in 3000 B.C.
- It is believed that pasta was brought to Italy by Marco Polo during an exhibition in the 13th century.
- The first machine to make macaroni was introduced by Thomas Jefferson in 1789.
- America saw its first pasta factory built during 1848 in Brooklyn, New York.
- Out of the overall global consumption of pasta, Americans make up twenty four percent. This is because Americans consume about six billion pounds of pasta each year.
- Pasta is the 6th highest food per capita consumed in the United States, with twenty pounds being consumed by the average American each year.
- The United States is the second nation to produce the most pasta each year. This is because the United States makes about four billion pound of pasta each year.
At Basta Pasta, we pride ourselves on using pasta facts to create delicious and authentic Italian cuisine in our extensive menu. Ask one of our knowledgeable servers about our menu to make a delicious decision. Our extensive wine list and dinner menu is sure to delight even the pickiest of eaters. Afraid our dining room will be too crowded? Not to worry, Basta Pasta offers online reservations!
Want to learn more about our wine selection? Need to get in touch with one of our locations? Here is some basic contact information for both:
- Timonium Location- 60 W Timonium Road